Pittsburgh is a dynamic city of diverse neighborhoods and opportunities. Known internationally for its leadership in addressing issues of urban sustainability and resiliency, the city is an ideal place for faculty and students to work with Penn State Center Pittsburgh’s community partners.
Check out this video from the City of Pittsburgh: Future. Forged. For All.
Living in Pittsburgh
You have several potential housing options and resources to consider for your City Semester Pittsburgh experience. Here are a few options*, though you are not required to use any of these.
- Penn Commons (This is where most City Semester students live during the semester. Penn State Center Pittsburgh staff can provide you with direct contact information.)
- sublet.com (and other online or printed news and classified publications that list sublets)
If your current apartment lease expressly permits subletting or assignment, you are legally free to substitute another tenant for yourself. The same is true if there is nothing expressed in your lease against subletting.
- Uloop is a website where people host their sublets.
- Penn State has a Craigslist site where people host their sublets.
- Made In PGH is a welcome guide for newcomers.
- Yelp is a great search guide for anything you are looking for in Pittsburgh.
- NextPittsburgh.com is an online community focusing on the cool people, projects, and places taking Pittsburgh to the next level as a place of creativity and innovation.
- Imagine Pittsburgh is a digital hub for career exploration that connects you to more than 25,000 positions open today and provides real-time information about trending occupations.
- City Paper Pittsburgh is an alternative newspaper featuring news; dining, music, and film reviews; opinions; arts and entertainment; and culture.
- Pittsburgh Urbanist Guide makes it easy for both tourists and locals to pinpoint outstanding local businesses in Pittsburgh.
- Article — Pittsburgh’s Model for Sustainability
- Article — Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Article — Free Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Port Authority for Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) is useful for trip planning and general information about public transportation.
- Healthy Ride Bike kiosks are available at dozens of spots around the city.
- Megabus offers its City Guide Pittsburgh and makes connections from Pittsburgh to State College; Harrisburg; Philadelphia; Morgantown, WV; New York, NY; and Washington, D.C.