Penn State Center Pittsburgh connects Allegheny County residents to the rich resources of Penn State. Our mission is to create relationships that enhance the lives of those living in the greater Pittsburgh region, while providing Penn State faculty and students opportunities for research, study, and engagement in a dynamic urban community.
Located in the heart of Pittsburgh's historic Hill District, Penn State Center Pittsburgh is home to a passionate staff who are committed to helping grow local businesses, improving our natural environment, supporting youth development, and promoting the arts in the Pittsburgh region.
- Since 2008, our impact spans 50 Pittsburgh neighborhoods and 35 municipalities in Allegheny County.
- Thousands of Allegheny County residents have participated in our educational programs.
- Our internships and community projects have given more than 950 Penn State students the opportunity to solve important urban issues, such as green infrastructure and food systems.
- Penn State Master Gardeners volunteered more than 10,000 hours at demonstration gardens throughout Allegheny County last year.
- Our youth programming reaches over 300 Pittsburgh area school children every year.
Providing Urban Experiences for Penn State Students
The Study Away Pittsburgh Program provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to live and work in Pittsburgh for a semester. Students take part in collaborative projects with Pittsburgh area community organizations, agencies, and other groups to address a variety of urban sustainability issues while earning 15-credits toward their degree.